Friday, January 4, 2013

My Review of Les Miserables (2012)

First, I am very critical since I've read the book, seen the play four times, and watched the mildly entertaining 1998 movie. This effort was a blend of big screen acting and theater so there was a lot of vocal latitude - it's not about pitch as much as passion. Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) Was incredible! His "God on high, hear my prayer" for Marius and then again at his death were so moving... And when Fantine joined in from beyond... Man-o-man goosebumps!!! Inspector Javert (Russell Crow) was solid as the relentless persecutor! His voice was deep and cold - until the end! The young Cosette was adorable! Fantine (Anne Hathaway) captured passion needed for her role! Her pain and passion were expressed brilliantly! Eponine (Samantha Barks) who had two of the top songs ("A Little Fall of Rain," and "On My Own") did a great job - I felt it! Gotta love the Inn-Keepers, they made me love hating them! Marius did well projecting his being torn between "the cause" and love! Little Gavroche won me over! They always find such good child actors for his part! Finally, Older Cosette (Amanda Seyfried)... Her passion was made believable by her acting ability; however, her vocals were too out of place - mostly the high-pitched and sheepish vibrato. I still give her credit for her acting work! I give this film 5 out of 5 stars! The star, in my opinion, all things considered was Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman, a.k.a Wolverine!) Anne was a close second. Take the time to go see this and use the restroom before you take your seats! Included with my review is my own fan art. Because I love this Novel / Play / Movie!

1 comment:

Simply Rawesome said...

Great review! Enjoyed it.